Welcome to Expositing Ephesians

THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED to one of the chief passions of my life and ministry, The Epistle of Paul to the Ephesians. I believe this epistle is at the very core of the Christian life. I spent years in the study of it and then three and one half years expositing it from my pulpit. I hope this blog will be a blessing to you as I share that exposition. I also hope you will tell others about this blog. Please check for new posts each Monday .

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Why Does God Allow His People To Suffer? (1)


Ephesians 3:1 reminds us of something very important about the Apostle Paul: I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles. As Paul wrote the letter to the Ephesians, he was sitting in a Roman prison awaiting execution. This brings up a question that has plagued people for centuries: why does God allow his people to suffer?

Some ask, “Since God is all powerful, why doesn’t He spare His children from suffering? If God is love, why do we suffer?” Others ask, “Why does God allow in­jury, illness, personal loss, tragedy, and the like to enter the believer’s life?” In confusion, many of us have asked, “Is God punishing me for something? What is God trying to tell me? Why is God doing this?” Many people go so far in their feeling of being a victim that they blame God for their problems. The answer to all this, however, is not as complex as many have viewed it to be. It is answered by careful consideration of two passages of Scripture.

Let’s first consider II Corinthians 12:7‑10: “And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing. Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.”

Here Paul was reflecting on his “thorn in the flesh.” What was Paul’s thorn in the flesh?. Some teachers spiritualize this passage by saying it was a demon, but the plain, normal language that Paul uses, as well as the surrounding context, clearly show this to be a physical infirmity. Others say that Paul’s ailment was failing eyesight brought on by his being temporarily blinded at his conversion (Acts 9:1‑18). Still others say Paul’s problem was recurring malaria, which was common in the region in which Paul ministered.

But may we submit that God doesn’t tell us the ailment for a reason! Why do men always have to theorize and foolishly speculate when the Scripture is silent? Think a moment: with man’s tendency to self‑righteousness, if God told us that Paul’s problem was poor eyesight, many Christians would probably think they were more spiritual if they wore glasses. Or, if Paul’s problem had been malaria, today’s mystical crowd would think being sick makes us closer to God. The same would be true of other opinions of Paul’s thorn, such as epilepsy and migraine headaches.

We need to see that in all our theorizing we have missed the point! The point is that it doesn’t matter what Paul’s physical affliction was. Why? Because ALL physical infirmity is included in this one illustration. This passage reveals three reasons for physical infirmity (excluding chastening). [Note: See a more detailed discussion of this issue on our website in the article “What Was Paul’s Thorn in the Flesh?” (http://www.thescripturealone.com/TOTT-49.htm).]

First, physical infirmity keeps us humble (verse 7). Man is, by his very nature, a self‑glorifying creature, and we live in probably the most self‑glorifying age of all time. But physical infirmity keeps us in our proper place; it constantly reminds us that we are finite men, limited in power and ability. We need to be reminded of just how frail and pitiful we are. This certainly isn’t a popular thought in today’s “self‑image” craze, but it’s still the Truth. While we certainly are “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Ps. 139:14), illness can strike us down at any moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment