Welcome to Expositing Ephesians

THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED to one of the chief passions of my life and ministry, The Epistle of Paul to the Ephesians. I believe this epistle is at the very core of the Christian life. I spent years in the study of it and then three and one half years expositing it from my pulpit. I hope this blog will be a blessing to you as I share that exposition. I also hope you will tell others about this blog. Please check for new posts each Monday .

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Taking Off Corrupt Speech to Put On Good Speech (3)



By Dr. J. D. Watson
Pastor-Teacher, Grace Bible Church


Concluding Paul’s challenge in Ephesians 4:29— Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers—having considered the negative consideration, we now see the positive. Turning to the deeper motive, and thereby the greater blessing, this verse reveals three principles that should be true of the Believer’s speech.

First, we speak that which is good. The Greek here is agathos, which occurs frequently in the New Testament (107 times) and has a wide range of meanings, including: benevolent, profitable, useful, beneficial, excellent, virtuous, and suitable. As we’ll see, every one of those meanings is appropriate to speech. With that in mind, may we test ourselves daily and examine our speech according to agathos by asking a series of questions. (1) Is what I am about to say benevolent? Is it kind, compassionate, and caring? (2) Is what I am about to say profitable, beneficial, and useful? Will it accomplish something? Is it constructive or destructive? Will it help or hinder? Is it positive or negative? (3) Is what I am about to say excellent? Is it just good or eminently good, the best thing to say? (4) Is what I am about to say virtuous? Is it righteous, honorable, and moral? Does it avoid suggestiveness, vulgarity, and crudeness? (5) Is what I am about to say suitable? Does it fit the moment? Is it proper? Is it appropriate?

Second, as if good were not enough, Paul adds that our speech should edify. Edifying is oikodomē, which refers literally to the building of a house. Therefore, everything we say should build up other believers, not tear them down. Our speech should be uplifting, encouraging, instructive, and even challenging.

The story is told of a woman who developed a serious throat condition. The doctor prescribed medication but also told her that her vocal cords needed total rest—no talking for six months. With a husband and six children to care for, such a prescription seemed impossible, but she set out to do so. When she needed the kids, she blew a whistle. If she needed to give instructions, she wrote them on memo pad. She also placed such pads all around the house that she and others could quickly grab for questions and answers. When the six months had passed, her first words were most revealing. She said that the children had become quieter, and then she remarked, “I don’t think I’ll ever holler again like I used to.” When asked about the notes, she replied, “You’d be surprised how many hastily written notes I crumpled up and threw into the wastebasket before I gave them to anyone to read. Seeing my own words that I would have spoken had an effect that I don’t think I can ever forget.”

Paul is not done yet.

Third, our speech should gracious (minister grace). The word minister is again the word didōmi, which is translated “give” back in verse 27 (“Neither give place to the Devil”). It means “to give of one’s own accord and with good will.” Grace, of course is charis, which used in the context of salvation means the unmerited favor of God toward man manifested primarily through the person and work of Jesus Christ apart from any merit or works of man.

So what does it mean for us to give grace to others? In broad strokes the word grace and paints a picture of exceptional kindness, special goodwill, friendly action in excess of the ordinary. That is what characterizes our speech. Sometimes we say the right things, and even say them at the right time, but we say them in the wrong way. We must always speak with love, concern, and kindness. While we always “speak the truth” (4:15), we never stoop to today’s co-called “policy of total honesty,” which often hurts those around us. Our words are always kind.

Indeed, the tongue is the best and worst thing we each possess. It can help or hinder, it can build or destroy. May we ask ourselves throughout the day, “Is my tongue the best thing about me or the worst? Does my speech glorify and honour the Lord, and does it build up those around me?” May we pray with the Psalmist, “Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips” (Ps. 141:3).

No comments:

Post a Comment