Welcome to Expositing Ephesians

THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED to one of the chief passions of my life and ministry, The Epistle of Paul to the Ephesians. I believe this epistle is at the very core of the Christian life. I spent years in the study of it and then three and one half years expositing it from my pulpit. I hope this blog will be a blessing to you as I share that exposition. I also hope you will tell others about this blog. Please check for new posts each Monday .

Monday, April 9, 2012

God’s Work Through Us (2)

Last time we left a question hanging in the air. In Ephesians 2:10, Paul writes that the Christian has been created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them, but which works are good works?

The answer is summed up right here in Ephesians: “And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness” (4:24). We will, of course, more closely examine this verse later in our study, but the thrust of it is a good work is whatever is right and holy according to the Word of God. God has defined good works and these good works are to be the rule of life for the believer. We do not run about saying, “Oh, what can I do today that is good? What shall be my good deed for the day?” No, good works are the rule of life; we do them automatically because they have become part of our na­ture through the Spirit of God. We help others, we minister to one another, we live holy, and much more because it has become “reflex” to do so.

A sure way to know what works are good works is to examine the principle of “God’s will.” A question that is often asked is, “What is God’s will in a given situation?” Or, “How do I know what God’s will is?” Or, “What is God’s will for my life?” To answer such questions, some interpreters teach some magic formula for “finding God’s will” or advocate “putting out a fleece.” But what we find in Scripture is that it is actually Scripture that reveals the bulk of God’s will. We see no less than seven principles in Scripture that specifically tell us what God’s will is for our lives. Space doesn’t permit us to examine them, but at least we can list them.

First, it is God’s will that you are a Spirit-filled (5:17-18). Second, it is God’s will that you be morally pure (I Thes. 4:3-7). Third, it is God’s will that you are constantly being transformed by the renewing of your mind (Rom. 12:2). Fourth, it is God’s will that you thank Him in all things, that is, you are submissive to the sovereignty of God (I Thes. 5:18). Fifth, it is God’s will that you pray (I Tim. 2:8). Sixth, it is God’s will that you submit to authority (I Pet. 2:13-15). Seventh, it is God’s will that you be willing to suffer for Christ (I Pet. 3:17; 4:19; II Tim. 3:12).

All these are good works, works that are God’s revealed will. Many Christians ask, “What is God’s will for my life in this specific situation?” Well, when we are doing these principles of His will, we will be able to see the rest easily. God’s not going to lead in any area unless we are first obeying His already revealed will. First and foremost, God’s will is found in God’s Word.

May we each ask ourselves a series of questions. Am I allowing God to work in me? Am I allowing Him to have constant control? Am I allowing Him to mold and fashion me according to His sovereign will? Do I really desire growth that is only produced by a constant involvement with the Word of God? Do I live right and holy as revealed in the Scriptures?

It is also a well-known fact that Michelangelo personally went to the quarry to select the marble block on which he would work, allowing no one else to touch it lest they mar it in some way. Likewise, God, the Great Sculptor, who brought all things into existence with a thought, chose us and is now molding us and then using us to glorify Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment