Welcome to Expositing Ephesians

THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED to one of the chief passions of my life and ministry, The Epistle of Paul to the Ephesians. I believe this epistle is at the very core of the Christian life. I spent years in the study of it and then three and one half years expositing it from my pulpit. I hope this blog will be a blessing to you as I share that exposition. I also hope you will tell others about this blog. Please check for new posts each Monday .

Monday, March 5, 2012

“Created Unto Good Works” (1)

I thoroughly enjoy reading the works of Harry Ironside, eighteen-year pastor of Moody Church in Chicago and author of over 60 volumes, including devotional commentaries and other works. In his exposition of Ephesians, In The Heavenlies, he tells a story of a train trip he took while holding meetings in Southern Californian. The trip had barely begun when a strangely dressed woman sat down beside him. Dressed in what appeared to Ironside to be red bandana handkerchiefs pieced together and a shawl, this, coupled with the subject of conversation made it obvious she was gypsy. “How do you do, gentleman,” she began, “like to have your fortune told?” Ironside replied, “Are you able to tell my fortune?” Holding out her hand, she answered, “Cross my palm with a silver quarter, and I will give you your past, present, and future.” “You are very sure you can do that if I give you a quarter?” he asked. “You see, I am Scotch, and would hate to part with a quarter and not get proper exchange for it.” “Yes, gentleman,” she assured him, “I can give you your past, present, and future. I never fail.” To this Ironside replied, “It is really not necessary, because I have a little book in my pocket that gives me my past, present, and future.” “You have it in a book?” she asked, puzzled. Pulling out his New Testament and turning to Ephesians 2:1-7, he said, “Yes, and it is absolutely infallible. Let me read it to you. Hear is my past, ‘And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins: Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.’” In obvious uneasiness, she replied, “Oh, yes, it is plenty, I do not care to hear more.” Holding her gently by the arm, Ironside said, “But I want to give you my present also, ‘But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.’” Again in growing discomfort she said, “That is plenty, gentleman, I do not wish to hear more.” But Ironside continued, “Oh, but there is more yet, and you must get it; and you are not going to pay me a quarter for it either. I am giving it to you for nothing. It is my past, present, and future. Here is my future, ‘That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.’” Not able to take any more, she jumped to her feet and fled down the aisle saying, “I took the wrong man! I took the wrong man!”

Indeed, as we’ve seen, God has done it all. He is in our past, present, and future. And as I read that story, I couldn’t help but wonder if Ironside would have also gotten to verse 10, for it too is part of our future. Our future does indeed include good works. As we continue, we’ll see how.

No comments:

Post a Comment